The thing I've been working on, but can't loudly announce until it launches was up for approval this week, and after 2 1/2 days of
Now back to the dollhouse;
Repainted the door/windows on Monday. The insides were their original pink, the outside was a splotchy awful black, but now both sides have a muted gold base coat, better suited for a Steampunk house.
I actually had to go and look up when I last mentioned the kitchen counter (February). It was just a paper template then, but now it's almost done;
This why I had to make my own tiny gears
The house is pretty compact and while I wanted the kitchen and living room to be on the same floor, I had to come up with a way for everything to magically fit. I remembered watching some room make over show on HGTV, they fit a dining area into a tight space by combining it with the counter. Up against the wall for a counter, rotated out into the room for a table. Well I have even less space to work with, so the table, "When not in use" (like people really live here, I'm a dork :P ), overlaps and becomes part of the counter top. (above photo)
When the tiny residents need a place to eat, they just turn a crank on the side of he counter, and then the gear/pulley system will rotate the glass mosaic slab out 90 degrees into the room. (no the gears don't actually turn, but I'm pretty sure this would work if they could)
The top part isn't completely attached yet which is why I'm holding it up in the photo. The counter can actually support the table section on it's own though. It's hollow and made out of light wood scraps and used to fall over if the table wasn't sitting on top of it, but after adding a wider base, and some rocks, it stays in place.
Wasn't kidding about those rocks.
Now I just need to make some bar stools.
I'm going to try using these plastic bottle caps
And on top of all of this, I managed to start and complete a large portion of the top floor observatory.
I have this half sun pin that I wanted to incorporate into the interior design of this room, but after making a wall template, I realized that it was just too big and heavy for such a small space. So I drew up a small paper version, and with a few coats of acrylic medium, it will be a neat sculptural element for the room.
See that little arch that I penciled in between the sun and the doorway?
Well, after some thought, I decided to make it bigger.
And made a Popsicle stick floor.
And built a small door before turning in for the night on Tuesday.
I wish I could be this ambitious with the dollhouse longer, but with Easter comes cleaning up for a family party, and my minis have to be packed up so the little kids can't get to them. It's not a pleasant process, most of it was shoved into a spare room, not sure where I'm putting this house yet. The only plus was that I had to go through a few boxes of things and ended up pulling out some stuff I might end up using later for this project.
Not saying that all of this will end up in the house, but it does look like the kind of stuff that you would find inside. And now I know where everything is.
I think it's safe to say, I'm back on track with this project.
Also, anyone involved with Undersized Urbanite, you're welcome to re-post things related to the challenge, just link back, no need to ask.
Thank you, and Happy Easter